ResuméI provide market-driven design direction for small to mid-sized companies that work at a start-up’s pace. I lead the design and implementation of simple, easy-to-use web, web-application, mobile-web and mobile application interfaces that provide intuitive, effective experiences for the people who use them. I have also brought numerous product and company brand identities from concept to production to deployment. My skill set, developed over the past 15 years, would benefit any team needing data-supported design leadership, or a smaller company needing to integrate the push for optimal design with first-to-market realities.
Medio Systems Inc.
2005 to present
Responsible for directing the user experience and visual design of multiple web-based and mobile products. Developed the identity and supporting marketing systems for each new product, as well as multiple identities for Medio Systems itself.
- uSearch Mobile Search Platform
uSearch was a pre-packaged mobile search platform for that allowed mobile carriers provide web-search for their customers when the mobile web was in its infancy. I produced the complete experience design, visual design and brand integration for customers—including: Verizon, T-Mobile, T-Mobile International, Nokia, Telus Mobile, Vodaphone, AT&T, Ampd and Sprint.
- Lotza Mobile App
Lotza is a mobile application that aggregates deals from all over the web and mobile web. I directed and produced the complete mobile app experience, visual design, and brand identity, including logo, supporting website and mobile website, and supporting marketing and sales collateral.
- Medio Active Dashboards
Medio Active Dashboards is a web-application that interacts with Medio's cloud-based, big-data analytics platform. It allows Medio customers to gain insight on key user metrics, and predict user needs. I directed the complete experience design, visual design, and brand identity.
- Medio Promotions Manager
The Promotions Manager allows Medio customers to rapidly create promotions and track the effectiveness of those promotions in real-time. I directed the complete experience and visual design.
- Medio Systems Brand Identity
I directed the first two Medio rebrands, which involved the design and production of: logo, websites, business system, and sales and marketing collateral.
Intelligent Results Inc.
Lead Interface Designer
April of 2002 to present
Acting MarCom Art Director
2004 to present
Responsible for leading the design of three world-class, web-based software applications. In addition, currently the acting art director for the Marketing Communications Department.
Major UI Projects:
- IRDiscover (redesign)
Design direction for these three web-based, enterprise applications, including task analysis, user flow design, interaction design (many rounds of clickable wire-frames), visual design, and brand identity for each.
Major MarCom Projects:
- Designed Intelligent Results identity and brand style guide
- Produced identity roll-out: website, business system, sales collateral, and trade-show booth
- Developed complimentary sub-brands for each separate software entity
Lead Interface Designer
October of 2000 to April 2002
Amazon.com ACN (Amazon.com Commerce Network)
January of 2000 to October 2000
April of 1999 to January 2000
Responsible for the design of industry standard, database-driven interfaces, design and production of graphical elements on the site, improving the performance of existing interfaces/user task flows, as well as designing for testing and analysis in all phases of production. Amazon
- 2000 Redesign of Amazon Product Page – Designed Look & Feel for Single Page Checkout
- Redesigned ACN partner Greenlight.com and helped integrate Drugstore.com
- Design of Target Store on Amazon.com
- Designed templates for and helped to create specification for general partner integration moving forward at Amazon.com
- Designed and helped to develop the specification for New and Used parity on the product page
- Lead the design of Catalogs and Restaurant Search
- Designed zShops and Version 2 of Amazon Auctions
- Designed Templates for Marketplace Tutorials
- Designed Seller Storefronts and Advanced Seller Tools for supply chain and billing management
- Redesigned Amazon's buttons; wrote specification for usage
USWest (now Qwest)
Full-time Contract Web Graphic Designer
USWest Creative Services (now Peak Systems)
November of 1998 to April of 1999
- Complete 1999 redesign of USWest.com
I offer specific expertise in these areas:
- User experience design: User/task analysis, workflow design, interaction design (functional rapid prototyping), and visual design
- Information Architecture: Display of complex, dynamic information systems, taxonomies, and navigation
- Graphic Design and Illustration: Thorough education in classic design principles, including: advanced typography, color theory, marketing design; represented illustrator from 1992 to 1998: clients included Safeco, Adweek, ComputerWorld, Detroit Freepress, and Scholastic Magazine
- Tools: Macintosh user fluent in Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator (also familiar with PC versions of the same)
Associate of Applied Arts in visual communication
Concentration on illustration and graphic design
Art Institute, Seattle.
Attended Student Studio; comprised of the top ten students. GPA 3.92, 1991
Summer Magnet Program
Parsons School of Design, New York. GPA 4.0, 1988
→ Download a printable version of Vaughn's resumé